FACTS: Quail birds-eggs farming business, buy and sell zvihuta meat for profit in Zimbabwe
About commercial quail farming business in Zimbabwe
Important Facts and Tips For Raising Quails
What is quail farming? It is the raising and rearing of quails commercially (like chickens) for the purpose of profitable eggs and meat production.
From what we have seen so far in Zim, quail farming business is very simple, profitable and enjoyable.
How much does it cost?Anyone can start and maintain a quail farm with less than $100 startup capital, you do not need a lot of money to run this business.
The added bonus is there is a hot and crazy demand for the meat and eggs so this is just the right time to start something for yourself before everyone joins in the bandwagon.
Am sure people with bigger visions across other neighboring SADC countries can can make a lot more outside our borders.
Does quail meat and eggs cure diseases like HIV AIDS, cancer, high blood pressure etc..we don’t know..maybe January disease, we can say yes based on the reports we have received up to now.
Some Important Facts About Quails, low costs, easy business
- Female quails start laying eggs within their 6 to 7 weeks of age and continuously lay one egg daily.
- They lay about 300 eggs in their first year of life. After that they produce about 150 to 175 eggs in second year. Eggs production gradually decrease after their first year of laying period.
- Quail egg is very suitable for human health. It contains 2.47 % less fat than chicken egg. Many people believe that ‘quail eggs help to prevent blood pressure, diabetic, pant etc’.
- Quail meat is very tasty and nutritious. Fat is very low in their meat. So quail meat is very suitable for blood pressure patients.
- Eggs are very beautiful with multiple color.
- Quails do not incubate their eggs. So you have to use an incubator or brooder chickens for hatching their eggs.
- Like chickens there are layer quails and broilers which are just there for meat.
- An adult quail consumes about 20 to 25 grams of food daily.
- Like chickens Quail can be raised in both litter and cage systems. But quail farming in cage system is more suitable than raising them in deep litter system. In cage system, management is very easy and diseases or other problems are less.
- You can raise 6 to 7 quails in the same place that is required for one chicken.
- Their food to meat or eggs converting efficiency is satisfactory. They can produce one kg meat or eggs by consuming three kg food.
- Quails are very strong bird and diseases or other health problems are less. So risks are less in this business.
- Quail farming needs small capital, and labor cost is very low.
- It takes about 16 to 18 days to hatch their eggs.
- They start laying eggs within their 6 to 7 weeks of age.
- Quails grow very fast and gain maturity faster than any other poultry birds.
- Diseases are less in quails, and they are very hardy.
The Life Cycle of Quails
- Female quails will start laying eggs from the age of 6 weeks.
- They will produce about 300 eggs in the first year.
- The number of eggs will gradually decrease in the next 3 years. Yo have to slaughter them when they are about 4 years as they generally survive for 3 to for years.
Raising and Farming Quails in Zimbabwe
- Raising quail birds is a lot easier than broiler chickens and layers. Farms and breeders are making a killing in Zimbabwe as there is a chihuta gold rush that has taken the country by storm.
- These quail birds are however not the same as the wild quails you find in Zimbabwe bushes.
- Those are not good for profitable business and they only lay 2 eggs per year.
- The tamed Japanese quails are the real deal.
- They lay a lot of eggs and they are just as easy and friendly to handle like chickens.
QUICK GUIDE ON HOW TO START THE QUAILS FARMING BUSINESS IN ZIMBABWE
- First this is a news concept that is easy and cheap to start as the birds are affordable
- 2 week old quails cost $2 per bird while a crate of 30 eggs costs $6
- You will need onsite training from another farmer which can last for a day, the highest you can pay for training is $100
- The cheapest way to start is with eggs as they will cost less than live birds, you can have, you can negotiate for 60 eggs at a price of $10, Usually its 30 eggs for $6
- You will then need cages which can be at least 100 cm by 100 cm. Just make sure cats and dogs can not get their paws inside.
- Chemicals and bird feeds are essential to ensure you raise a healthy and disease free breed.
The above is not a quail farming business plan or blueprint for Zimbabwe, just simple information to share and discuss.
Many are already looking for where to buy quail eggs or birds in Zimbabwe as this is a hot business.
If you have any business ideas or you are selling or trying to buy something, you can share your stories here.
You are also free to sell or advertise your quail eggs, meat or any business that someone might be willing to buy or pay for.